The Southern Tour that I focused on in 2019 was a deep and hard look at US history from post-Civil War to present day, and the racism that pervades every aspect of every day. I’m still learning, still working on my own racism and white privilege, both things I did not understand at all until the last few years. I’m late to all this, but determined to do the work. And continue to visit the places that show the full truth of our American history, for it is only by seeing what was that we can see what is and what needs to be.
- Hard Truth (Montgomery, Alabama)
- Edmund Pettus Bridge and Albany Civil Rights Museum (Alabama and Georgia)
- African-American History Monument (South Carolina)
- Tuskegee Airman National Historic Site(Alabama)
- Gettysburg Redux (and my earlier visit to Gettysburg in 2017)
- National Museum of African-American History and Culture (Washington, DC)
Related link: Anti-Racism Reading List