Memoirs and Biographies
- Coming of Age in Mississippi, Anne Moody. From a dirt-poor childhood in the segregated South to the sit-in at Woolworths in 1963, this is a very personal and detailed look at how things were in the 1940 and 1950s, and then moves through her work in the civil rights movement in the 1960s.
- Walking with the Wind, John Lewis
- Carry Me Home, Diane McWhorter. 2002 Pulitzer Prize winner
- The Warmth of Other Suns, Isabel Wilkerson
- The New Jim Crow, Michelle Alexander
- We Were Eight Years in Power, Ta-Nehisi Coates